Tim Hetherington, Director and Producer of Restrepo, which screened at our 2010 festival, was killed in Libya Wednesday.

“We are deeply saddened by this lost. Tim was a remarkable photographer and a terrific filmmaker and we were looking forward to playing his experimental short film diary at this year’s festival, but we had very much hoped to do so with him in attendance. That there is one less person out there striving to tell the truth about some of the most difficult stories of our time is a loss for all of us,” said Festival Director David Holbrooke.

From The New York Times:

Tim Hetherington, the conflict photographer who was a director and producer of the film “Restrepo,” was killed in the besieged city of Misurata on Wednesday, and three photographers working beside him were wounded.

The wounds to two of the photographers — Chris Hondros and Guy Martin — were severe, according to Andre Liohn, a colleague at the triage center where they were being treated Wednesday night.

Mr. Hondros, an American working for the Getty photo agency, suffered a severe brain injury and was in extremely critical condition, according to Mr. Liohn. He had been revived and was clinging to life in the evening. A later update from Mr. Liohn said that Mr. Hondros was in a coma at the medical center, which is located near the front lines.

Read the full article here.

There is a also a good memoriam for Hehterington on The New Yorker blog, in which he is quoted:

“I was aware that my pictures were being used to illustrate others’ ideas, so I started making stories to express my own ideas about the world.”

Advertisements